Electronic components in high reliability systems must endure harsh conditions. At the same time, the IC industry evolved to thinner and lighter packaging that increases IC sensitivity to the environment and accelerates degradation.
ALD-Cap® is a flexible ceramic coating that was developed by Sundew to provide hermetic environmental protection without the need for specialty hermetic packaging used in MIL-STD ICs. ALD-Cap® passes various endurance testing and has been successfully used by the US Navy to provide low-cost replacement to hermetically packaged on-ship radar components. Sundew was honored to be recognized in 2008 by the US Navy as a “Navy Small Business Success Story” for this achievement.
ALD-Cap® coatings provide barrier performance that surpasses high-quality alternative conformal coatings such as Parylene or CVD at reduced cost. Hermetic MIL-Standard durability is achieved with a coating thickness as low as 200 nm, and process-temperatures as low as 125° C.
Advantages and Benefits:
- 100% conformal
- Ceramic films
- Extremely low-permeability barrier to gases, moisture, and more
- Thin coating (200-500 nm)
- Straightforward masking of contacts and test-points
- Low temperature deposition (down to 70° C)
- Atomic level control of film properties
- Truly hermetic – first thin film encapsulation to pass MIL-STD 883E testing
- Passes MIL-STD 883E, JEDEC-A102 test, > 1000 hours HAST
- Deployed on Navy fleet
- Tested to protect RF MMICs to 100s of years of MTTF
- Improves RF performance of MMICs
- Encapsulation at the wafer-level, die-level or PCB-level
- Easily re-workable
- Incorporates nanolaminated film-stacks to enhance adhesion and flexibility
- Replaces SiN-Cap at the wafer-level
- Dual-use as tin-whiskers protection coating